iNaturalist DevOps-focused Full Stack Engineer
iNaturalist is the world’s largest community of naturalists. Every day tens of thousands of people from around the world work together on the platform to share their nature explorations and collaborate towards science and conservation. Our 2030 vision is to connect 100 million people to nature through our platform.
The iNaturalist DevOps-focused Full Stack Engineer will work with existing devops and sysadmin staff to plan and execute changes to core infrastructure that will allow iNat to handle 100X growth in 8 years. Manage existing infrastructure and collaborate with our small team on a variety of engineering tasks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
All staff are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, implement, and manage dynamic, high-throughput information storage and retrieval systems
- Work with existing devops and sysadmin staff to plan and execute changes to core infrastructure that will allow iNat to handle 100X growth in 8 years
- Provision and manage virtual (and potentially physical) servers
- Use off-the-shelf and development of custom devops tool to manage and monitor infrastructure
- Manage and create server applications serving other systems, staff, and end users
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following experience:
- Proficiency with database technologies such as PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, etc.
- Experience with configuration management technology such as Chef
- Experience working with cloud hosting providers such as Azure, AWS, etc.
- Experience with client-side web development technologies a plus
- Proficiency with server-side languages such as Node.js, Ruby, Python, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Our team is fully remote, though physical office space is available at the Academy if desired. If the latter, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet the job’s essential functions. You will work with a remote team with members located in both Pacific and Eastern US time zones.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please upload a cover letter and resume, and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.