Senior Manager, Marketing Operations
About the Opportunity
The Senior Manager, Marketing Operations will oversee day-to-day marketing operations, data and campaign management, email marketing and automation strategies, supporting over 500 email campaigns and driving over $1M in revenue annually. This role will serve as lead data architect for marketing data and insights, and will provide guidance to staff responsible for analytics, segmentation, and automation. This role will be an integral part of the Academy’s marketing strategy, ensuring we have both the technology tools and the data and insights we need to succeed in generating revenue and engaging audiences far and wide in our mission to regenerate the natural world.
Join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The mission of the California Academy of Sciences is to regenerate the natural world through science, learning, and collaboration. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
This position is based in San Francisco, California. Staff are currently expected to work from the Academy offices at least 2-3 times per week, which may fluctuate based on business needs. Please do not apply if you are not able to work onsite. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
About the Team
This role is part of the Experience Division, whose purpose is to create and amplify compelling experiences that inspire audiences to develop deeper connections with science, nature, and each other. The Senior Manager, Marketing Operations reports to the Marketing Director and directly supervises the Email Marketing Lead, and will make recommendations for future team growth as needed.
- Lead operations and evolution of several key components of the marketing technology stack (including email/automation, CRM, and analytics) developing scalable marketing technology and marketing automation solutions
- Manage existing technology vendors/partners and evaluate/recommend new platforms and service as needed
- Design, evolve and maintain a system to collect, store and analyze marketing data from multiple sources including Google Analytics/GA4, and the ESP and CRM platforms, and provide insights to key stakeholders on performance of integrated marketing campaigns
- Oversee email service provider (ESP)/marketing automation platform, including processes and automation; manage existing vendor relationship and contract, and evaluate other partners and recommend tools best suited to organization’s needs and goals
- Lead and develop the Email team to execute strategies and tactics; conduct analysis to uncover optimization opportunities; share insights to deliver best-in-class email marketing and execution for email campaigns across the organization; update custom email template application as needed
- Work with email stakeholders/content strategists and Email Marketing Lead to drive strategy to increase engagement and acquisition across all email streams; including re-engagement, drip campaigns, transactional emails and lifecycle marketing
- Oversee customer segmentation for marketing campaigns, and the development of comprehensive marketing automation journeys
- Maintain data integrity and data governance through operational programs and automated processes, and cross-functional collaboration
- Drive technical initiatives and advise on third-party integrations (such as data integration between email service provider and CRM platform)
- Provide comprehensive campaign analysis in close partnership with business stakeholders to help them achieve their business goals
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, ideally in a quantitative field; MBA or Masters in Computer Science or Data Science a plus
- 7+ years of experience in marketing operations, automation and/or analytics role
- 5+ years managing a team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience working in and designing relational databases and warehouses and integrating complex marketing technology/email/CRM platforms
- Proficiency using marketing automation platforms required
- Expertise in Google Analytics/GA4 and reporting platforms like Looker Studio required; familiarity with Google Tag Manager preferred
- Familiarity with Tessitura, Salesforce and/or other CRMs preferred
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills; proven track record utilizing and interpreting data and analytics to quantify and improve marketing results
- Understanding of how to design data architecture that leverages multiple platforms to be utilized for marketing purposes; familiarity with data warehouses like BigQuery
- Expertise in lifecycle marketing, customer segmentation and targeting methodologies
- Solid organizational and project management skills, including ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, deadlines and work streams
- Strong technology skills and ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences, collaborating to define and achieve goals
- Collaboration: Ability to work as part of a team or collaborate well with team members and external collaborators (if applicable) to accomplish mutual goals
- Communication: Ability to work efficiently and communicate with staff, cross-functional teams, and external customers from different identities and experiences
- Innovation: Ability to bring new ideas, create inventive solutions and find efficiencies to transform manually or detailed processes
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion
Physical Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 50% of the time. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring range: $120K - $130K
Schedule: Full-Time, 40 hours per week.
Starting salary will vary based on experience and relevant skills/knowledge set. The Academy offers a total compensation package that emphasizes both base salary and comprehensive benefits.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will occur on a rolling basis until filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please upload your resume and complete the brief online application
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.