We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
Please note: Beginning Friday, August 27, Academy employees and volunteers will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo testing and provide negative test results before they are able to work on-site or off-site with others.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Guest Experience, the Assistant Manager supervises the Guest Experience staff whose duties include but are not limited to: Access (ticket sales, guest services, hosts, coat check, Information Desk, Membership Services), Show control (Planetarium, Forum Theatre), and Exhibit facilitation (Rainforest, Earthquake Simulator). Although they supervise a team of over 60, the Assistant Manager is directly responsible for a homeroom of 12-16 staff that are a mix of full-time, part-time and on-call. The California Academy of Sciences is open to the public 365 days a year. Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and evening events. This is a full-time position that works four 10- hour days with quarterly rotating days off.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position duties and responsibilities.
- Mentor, coach and supervise all Guest Experience staff
- Respond to homeroom performance issues in a timely manner following all Academy’s performance management guidelines
- Train staff using the Guest Experience Standard Operating Guidelines (SOG) with consistent reinforcement to ensure an excellent guest experience
- Embody the Academy’s Platinum Service model for both our external and internal guests
- Lead the daily staff meeting ensuring all staff are aware of programs and events for each day
- Manage the capacity of the museum ensuring safety for all of our guests
- Manage the daily cash handling functions of the Guest Experience department
- Responsible for the accurate reporting of entryway data, ensuring the integrity of our attendance counts
- Effectively respond to guest recovery situations on the public floor
- Complete administrative tasks and projects that support the Guest Experience department. These may include: scheduling, payroll, recruiting, maintaining standard operating guidelines, sign and stanchion inventory
- Be a morale leader for staff; leading all Guest Experience staff morale programs (Employee of the Month, Spot Awards, staff events)
- Partner with all “guest-facing” departments to ensure a Platinum guest experience
- Supervise and assist with cleaning and sanitation tasks including the refilling of cleaning supplies within Guest Experience work areas.
- Other duties as assigned
HEALTH & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
- Follow all Academy Health & Safety Guidelines
- Wear a face covering at all times unless while eating on a meal break
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
- A minimum of two years of supervisory experience with direct reports in a customer service environment
- Experience with guest operations at a cultural institution highly preferred
- Some college experience welcome but not required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge in the area of cash accounting/register operations and computer skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and take initiative
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong communication over two-way radio required
- Ability to identify problems and suggest solutions
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment with heavy public contact
- Ability to respond quickly in emergency situations (i.e. museum evacuation etc.)
- Available to work holidays, weekends, and evenings as required or needed. The California Academy of Sciences is open to the public 365 days of the year.
- Prior experience with Tessitura software and/or other Point of Sale CRM systems
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals
- Ability to perform repetitive motions 75% of the time
- Ability to transport 50 lbs
The physical expectations described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position. At the Academy, we get to work in pretty unique spaces! We have active positions on the public floor that require repetitive motion, moving through and rotating to different positions throughout the day. In the Rainforest exhibit, we work in humid temperatures around various wildlife ie. birds, snakes, spiders, and insects. In the Planetarium exhibit, staff work in a sometimes darkened theatre environment with steps on a 30-degree slope. For everyone’s safety this position requires a face covering to be worn 100% of the time.
October 4, 2021 at 5PM. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.