Tourism Sales Manager
The Tourism Sales Manager is responsible for selling and marketing Academy products in assigned markets. Key responsibilities include generating revenue by selling Academy products via B2B channels locally in the San Francisco Bay Area and domestically throughout the United States.
With knowledge and understanding of the sales and tourism industry, the Tourism Sales Manager will communicate directly with clients and prospects, understand their individual needs, and recommend products or services that maximize revenue. The Tourism Sales Manager will market Academy products via trade shows, sales trips and direct sales. This position reports to the Associate Director of Travel Industry Sales.
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
The position is a hybrid of on-site/work form home in CA and can change as business needs warrant. The candidate must easily be able to work onsite in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco when needed. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment form the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meet or exceed established goals including revenue, average rate, and attendance in assigned business channels
- Manage customers in assigned business channels, developing strong ties with key customers and accounts and being proactive in understanding the trends and issues likely to impact the market
- Establish and maintain relationships with corporate accounts, hotels and education and group tour operators
- Prepare and implement annual sales plan including revenue and expense budget
- Actively prospect and develop new business from initial contact through contract via cold calls, in-person sales calls, trade shows, networking and industry events, and site visits
- Develop and execute client communication strategy, including newsletters and eMarketing campaigns
- Utilize Salesforce, Google Drive, and Tessitura Ticketing systems to review and report on account performance on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Maintain current and accurate information for all accounts status documenting sales activity in SalesForce and ensuring timely follow-up for all client requests
- Collaborate with the Academy departments to meet client and business requirements Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Minimum 3 years of direct sales experience in the travel industry
- Proven track record to achieving revenue goals and generating leads
- Ability to relate to a diverse client base and work independently
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to travel domestically and to work evenings and weekends when required
- Moderate to high proficiency in MS office and Google Suite, particularly Excel/sheets
- Ability to understand and quickly adopt business systems including CRM (Customer Relationship Management) and POS (Point of Sale) systems and other business applications
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities who meet the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 80% of the time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled or September 30, 2022 at 5 PM.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.