Executive Assistant, Business & Finance Division
We have an immediate opening for an Executive Assistant to support the Business & Finance Division. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will provide administrative support to the CFO and Business & Finance division by efficiently managing the CFO’s calendar, providing information necessary for decision making, and anticipating, monitoring, and resolving issues and problems. Using keen verbal and written communication and excellent customer service skills, the Executive Assistant interacts with staff at all levels within the Academy, trustees, donors and external clients.
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
This full-time position is based in San Francisco, California. Please do not apply if you are not willing to relocate. Staff are currently expected to work from the Academy offices at least 2-3 times per week, which may fluctuate based on business needs. The candidate must easily be able to work onsite at the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park when needed. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
CFO and Business/Finance Division Support
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following support to the CFO and the Business/Finance Division:
- Provide high level support for CFO and manage complex, ever-changing calendar
- Anticipate potential outcomes of actions or decisions, assess the urgency and importance of situations and consult with the CFO to take appropriate action
- Plan, organize, and prepare for complex meetings including: communicating meeting details to attendees, arranging meeting venue and equipment/catering needs, composing and/or working with others to prepare agendas, ensuring relevant materials are ready for meetings and/or review, providing day-of-event support, etc.
- Create and revise complex PowerPoint or Google slide presentations; incorporate content from multiple contributors; drafts, reviews, and edits content to deliver a cohesive final and accurate document
- Acts as a delegate for the CFO in approving B&F division directors’ timecards and time-off requests
- Provide support as needed to other EA’s and coordinate with Lead Executive Assistant on relevant projects. Cross train on duties and roles within the EA team.
Board Committee Support
- Provide administrative support for three Board committees - Finance, Investment and Audit & Risk committees - including administrative support and documentation of volunteer hours for annual tax forms; develop working relationship with board committee chairs and members and their designated administrative support; prepare documents/board committee packets for distribution; record and file meeting minutes; provide catering, technical support and room/furniture setup
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following experience and/or equivalent education:
- Minimum of three years of experience as an Executive Assistant supporting senior level executives or team in an office environment
- Two or more years experience with coordinating projects
- Experience working with donors and interacting with the public helpful
- Experience working with a Board of Trustees/Directors beneficial but not required
- Background and interest in working in finance beneficial but not required
- Associates degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year college; Bachelor's Degree (BA) preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to show work experience demonstrating the ability to make sound independent decisions maintaining confidentiality and discretion
- Proactive in assessing and responding to urgent requests
- Competence using collaborative work tools that enhance the remote work experience including Zoom and Google Meet (preferred experience managing breakout sessions, polls, and other digital tools such as Padlet, Jamboard, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Outstanding customer service skills
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 90% of the time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.