We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
Please note: Beginning Friday, August 27, Academy employees and volunteers will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo testing and provide negative test results before they are able to work on-site or off-site with others.
The California Academy of Sciences seeks an early career Project Manager seeking to leverage their construction and project management skills to step up into this role. This includes managing scope, schedule, and budget for all phases of assigned projects, as well as assuring that related changes to building infrastructure are seamlessly integrated into existing mechanical, electrical, plumbing and Aquarium systems. This position reports to the Senior Capital Project Manager.
A qualified candidate is an excellent communicator who is diplomatic, focused on results, and able to liaise effectively with the Building Operations team and other departments including Aquarium, Sales, Guest Experience, Security, Marketing and Communications, and Development.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages multiple capital projects of varying sizes concurrently.
- Manages all phases of the project life-cycle, from design through construction, installation, and project closeout.
- Facilitates and coordinates the efforts of Building Operations teams, including electricians, stationary engineers, automation technicians, and building and grounds personnel.
- Manages the efforts of outside vendors, tradespeople, and contractors, including daily supervision of on-site construction, assuring consistent work quality, compliance with Academy protocols and contract conditions, and adherence to approved schedules and methods.
- Liaises with Academy biologists, guest experience personnel, event managers, marketing and communications personnel, exhibit project managers, security, audio-visual engineers, café and store managers, and others from a variety of departments throughout the Academy to ensure assigned projects are executed efficiently with minimal disruption to Academy activities and guest experience.
- Evaluates contractor submittals, ensuring proposed equipment, materials and methods meet quality and performance thresholds and are compatible with Academy building equipment, systems, and finishes.
- Researches Academy construction/project document library and field investigates as necessary to respond appropriately to contractor RFIs.
- Develops project strategies and detailed schedules, and monitors progress against deadlines.
- Documents and tracks budget for all project scope elements so that they can be delivered within set budget constraints.
- Develops and assembles requests for proposals, solicits bids, leads bid walks, evaluates bid responses, and manages construction, fabrication, and installation contracts.
- Coordinates and facilitates meetings to ensure the continuing progress of assigned projects.
- Liaises with legal staff to develop contractual conditions of performance.
- Ensures assigned projects are effectively documented and project documents are integrated into Academy construction/project document library.
- Assists the Senior Capital Project Manager to research the feasibility, methods, and budgets of proposed projects.
- Meets regularly with Senior Capital Project Manager to provide status of projects and strategize ways to remove roadblocks.
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
The primary work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm. However applicants must be available occasionally to work nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- At least two years of post-secondary coursework in Construction, Engineering, or relevant field.
- At least two years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1 year commercial construction experience highly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to interpret and modify technical documents, including contractor submittals, RFPs, architectural and MEP drawings
- Knowledge of industry standard construction methods
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, Google apps, Gmail, and Adobe Acrobat or equivalent software.
- Ability to work independently on more than one project at a time in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 20% of the time. Able to lift up to 30 lbs.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.