We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
Please note: Beginning Friday, August 27, Academy employees and volunteers will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo testing and provide negative test results before they are able to work on-site or off-site with others.
Reporting to the Director Public Operations and Access, the Business Entrance Receptionist coordinates the California Academy of Sciences’ business entrance lobby area. Welcomes and directs all visitors, including vendors, associates, clients, job candidates, and customers. Ensures completion of paperwork, sign-in, and security procedures. This position will also support select administrative needs of the Guest Experience department (i.e. supply orders, inventory, and on-boarding preparation) This position will primarily work a weekday schedule with occasional work on both Saturday and Sunday and holidays; the California Academy of Sciences is open to the public 365 days a year.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position suits and responsibilities.
- Greet employees and visitors and inform the respective staff of their arrival.
- Verify the status of persons visiting the non-public business areas of the facility, checking credentials, and logging visitors in and using the Envoy Security Program.
- Assist in Guest Experience customer care, including but not limited to: Lost and Found, wheelchair requests, VIP access to the museum area
- Maintain routine calendaring and Guest Experience department logs including distribution of paychecks, daily voucher reports,school rosters and other reports, and/or data entry for functional databases as assigned
- Provide administrative support to the Guest Experience Team (calendar, supply orders, inventory, invoices)
- Follow all Academy safety regulations including assistance in emergency evacuation procedures
- Other duties as assigned
HEALTH & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
- Follow all Academy Health & Safety Guidelines
- Wear a face covering at all times unless while eating on a meal break
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
- 2 years experience in an administrative position
- 5 years experience in a guest facing position in a large organization
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must be comfortable working in a high-energy public environment in a guest facing role
- Basic computer applications including Google Suite and Microsoft Suite
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, take initiative, and be adaptable
- High emotional intelligence, ability to quickly assess situations
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills are a must to assist a diverse audience
- Available to work holidays, evenings and weekends are required or as needed
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals
The physical expectations described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position. This position spends the majority of the day working in a fixed location at the reception desk. For everyone’s safety this position requires a face covering to be worn 100% of the time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 24, 2021 at 5PM. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.