- San Francisco, CA
- Full Time
- Entry Level
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Resilient Islands – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
Please note: All Academy staff and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receiving a booster shot when eligible as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Reporting to the Digital Engagement and Community Manager, this role contributes directly to Academy digital-engagement efforts across a wide range of platforms and formats (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, livestreams, more) and is responsible for significant content-creation and digital support for the Academy’s Strategic Initiatives. In addition to supporting broad DE team priorities such as paid campaigns, influencer programs, special-projects, & more, the DE Specialist is responsible for content ideation and planning to support primary social accounts, a range of digital research and strategy work (with oversight from DE managers), and organic and paid content-creation in support of the Academy’s NightLife event-series.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work with Digital-Engagement Managers to contribute directly to Academy Brand social and internal paid efforts – 60%
- Contribute directly to Academy Brand platforms by ideating and creating content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, TikTok, Tumblr, Snapchat, Pinterest, and any other channels adopted
- With guidance from a DE Manager, create campaigns to support paid advertising goals for Academy departments
- Run and/or assist with planning, production, scheduling, and execution of livestream programs and other special virtual events
- Monitor inboxes and third-party reviews sites and (with support from DE Manager) provide social care as the Academy voice
- Identify and execute on compelling ways to highlight new Academy initiatives (Thriving California, Islands of the Future, Hope for Reefs 2) for digital audiences
- Directly contribute to DE efforts to build a robust community of highly effective influencers
- Maintain and update team metrics and tracking documents
- Support execution of all Academy Brand and Digital-Engagement team goals
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
Work with the DE Manager to drive digital content creation and strategy in support of the Academy’s NightLife event-series – 20%
- Create highly engaging content to amplify NightLife across Brand social-media channels, building community and driving attendance for weekly in-person and virtual events.
- Manage NightLife social-media budget and all paid social event, conversion, and other ads to effectively drive revenue and attendance for each in-person and virtual NightLife event
- Participate in NightLife-team meetings to stay up-to-date on programming, and to bring a digital-audiences perspective to event planning and series positioning
- Monitor NightLife-related social media conversations and mentions and work with appropriate contacts to respond to questions and comments in a timely and appropriate manner
Work with Digital-Engagement Managers to implement, steward, and continuously evolve digital standards and strategy for both the team and the Academy overall – 20%
- At the direction of DE Managers, conduct ongoing research into a range of assigned topics integral to strategic decision-making
- Work with DE Managers to ensure that all Academy digital offerings reflect accessibility best-practices in serving all community members
- Work with DE Managers to maintain and evolve production standards across Academy digital offerings (regardless of source)
- At the direction of a DE Manager, maintain and provide metrics/insights in support of partnerships with Membership, Development, and other key departments as needed
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- 2+ years experience representing a program, publication, or brand on social media (intentional personal accounts may be included)
- B.A. in Communications, English, Marketing, Creative Writing, Liberal Arts or related area of study AND experience in communications, writing, digital engagement, social media; OR comparable combination.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in all primary social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Strong writer with excellent radar for appropriate voice and tone, and the ability to modulate their own writing style to match various brands.
- Creative thinker able to identify and create compelling and relevant content for a wide range of audiences. Experience with livestreams, digital-asset creation, & related tools is preferred.
- Well organized, detail- and solutions-oriented, and able to prioritize and execute on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Background in or passion for science communication is strongly preferred.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities who meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 90% of the time. Must be able to spend long periods of time viewing computer screens and using a keyboard.
This position is hybrid in California for the time being, however the candidate must be able to work physically at the Academy ~3 days/week and in accordance with the latest health and safety guidelines.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.