Business Applications Manager
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology, the Business Applications Manager, designs, implements, upgrades, and sustains enterprise-level business applications by offering guidance through the use of established problem solving and analytical skills. In addition, the position supervises a team of employees, helping each reach their highest potential.
The Business Applications team is part of the Department of Information Technology and oversees all key business systems, focusing on the Academy’s revenue program. This includes e-commerce, API integrations, CRM, business reporting, and point of sale operations. The Business Applications team works alongside the Infrastructure Support Applications team, supporting the Academy’s infrastructure and core technology stack.
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
The position is a hybrid of on-site/work from home and can change as business needs warrant. The candidate must easily be able to work onsite in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco when needed. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
- Ensure uptime and SLA of key business applications and systems
- Responsible for the full end-to-end solutions and their life cycles.
- Delivers the implementation of solutions within a product/product group
- Develop APIs and lead the integration process for B2B, B2C, and D2C products
- Enforces and establishes proper documentation, process design, and architectural models to depict ticketing/business systems' current and future state
- Help define the standards for data acquisition, storage, and usage
- Facilitates the evaluation and selection of software, product standards, and services as well as the design of out of the box/shelf and custom software configurations
- Evaluate, determine, and develop solutions for all eCommerce needs
Additional Business Functions
- Collaborates with business and IT partners to plan, prioritize and resource initiatives
- Identifies trends and gaps with existing systems and processes and proposes projects to improve systems, processes, and infrastructure
- Interface with internal and external stakeholders to determine business needs and recommend the appropriate solutions
- Ensure the practices and procedures adhere to all security standards, including but not limited to PCI, OWASP, and Academy IT Standards
- Identifies the organizational impact (e.g. on skills, processes, structures, or culture) and financial impact of solutions
- Proposes new and innovative ways to support business initiatives
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information systems, computer science, or similar discipline
- 5+ years experience in any of the following IT solution development disciplines, including software engineering, application development and integration, database management, systems integrations, or operations support
- 2+ years managing a team of technical professionals
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Tessitura or similar ticketing systems and/or CRMs
- Connecting cloud and on-premise applications and data using APIs
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL
- AWS Management experience preferred
- Knowledge of Agile Methodologies and Software Development Lifecycles
- Experience managing and developing a team of employees
- Exposure to experience managing HRIS, Timekeeping, or Financial systems (e.g. Oracle, Kronos, Ceridian and/or Dayforce
- Collaboration: Ability to work as part of a team or collaborate well with team members and external collaborators (if applicable) to accomplish mutual goals.
- Communication: Ability to work efficiently and communicate with staff, cross-functional teams, and external customers from different identities and experiences.
- Innovation: Ability to bring new ideas, create inventive solutions and find efficiencies to transform manually or detailed processes.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Ability to transport 25 lbs.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 50% of the time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.