About the Opportunity:
This Security Officer position heavily emphasizes guest interaction and customer service. The Security Officer reports to a Security Shift Supervisor and provides security, safety, and guest services in public and non-public areas of the Academy. The position requires good observation, discretion, professional writing, speaking, and public relations skills. The physical ability to stand at indoor and outdoor posts, operate doors, and climb stairs is required. Ideal candidates must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays, the California Academy of Sciences is open to the public 365 days a year.
Join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The mission of the California Academy of Sciences is to regenerate the natural world through science, learning, and collaboration. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
This position is based in San Francisco, California. Please do not apply if you are not able to work onsite. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
About the Security Department:
The California Academy of Sciences Security Department operates 24/7, 365 days a year. The Academy is located in Golden Gate Park, between the De Young Museum, Conservatory of Flowers, and Japanese Tea Gardens. The department highly emphasizes teamwork, communication, and a can-do attitude. The department provides security, safety, and guest services in public and non-public areas of the Academy, including our collection spaces off the public floor. We operate under regular museum hours and a primary function of the Academy's day to day operations, Thursday NightLife event for 21+ and all private events held at the Museum. We pride ourselves on executing the Academy’s Platinum Guest Experience by seeking out guest contact, welcoming guests, proactively asking guests if they need assistance, and providing information and suggestions to guests.
Provide for the safety and security of guests, staff, and visitors of the Academy through keen observation and proper reporting
- Provide for the security and protection of Academy property, including animals, exhibits, facilities, and assets, through keen observation and reporting
- Deliver the Academy’s Platinum Guest Experience by seeking out guest contact, welcoming guests, proactively asking guests if they need assistance, and providing information and suggestions to guests
- Interact with the public about the Academy’s mission, programs, and exhibits
- Interact with Academy employees, volunteers, contractors, and other business visitors regarding security and safety procedures
- Respond with a first aid kit and perform basic first aid and CPR. Operate an AED and administer emergency oxygen
- Enforce the Academy’s access control policies
- Provide building security, door security, the opening and closing of public and non-public areas, and conducting building rounds
- Verify and record the identification and clearance of staff and visitors entering the Academy facility
- Interview individuals and prepare incident reports using a computerized records system
- Assist in the general upkeep and maintenance of the facility
- Be willing and able to work shifts at varied times as needed
- Be able to communicate clearly via a handheld radio device, including speaking and listening to routine and emergency communications
- Respond to emergencies and assist in directing crowds in evacuations
- Use a computer for incident reporting, visitor management, correspondence, and training
- Knowing and following all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Be able to obtain certifications in Basic First Aid, CPR, AED, and Emergency Oxygen
- Be able to obtain and maintain a California Guard Card
- Be able to obtain CIPS certification issued by the IFCPP
- Customer service or guest-facing experience is a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact well with Academy guests, staff, volunteers, and visitors
- Ability to work well with a team
- Ability to listen to accept feedback gracefully and integrate it
- Ability to keenly observe and accurately report irregularities
- Ability to take appropriate action in emergency situations
- Ability to attend and successfully complete regular training in guest interaction, security officer policies and procedures, first aid, emergency response procedures, and other training as required by Academy policy
- Basic computer skills
- Communicate via two-way radio
The physical demands and work environment described here represent those that an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Employees of this position are frequently required to:
- Stand at a post for long periods of time
- Patrol the main floor
- Conduct building rounds
- Sit at a post
- Be posted outdoors while exposed to various weather conditions
- Reach out with hands and arms
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to perform repetitive motions 10% of the time
Hourly hiring/flat rate: $24.00 per hour
Schedule: Part-Time, 5 hours per week
APPLICATION DEADLINE: This position is open until February 3, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please upload your resume and complete the brief online application
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.