Occupational Health & Safety Specialist
Reporting to the General Counsel & Director of Security, the Occupational Health & Safety Specialist (“Safety Specialist”) implements, manages and monitors health and safety programs, policies, procedures and protocols that meet Cal/OSHA and other applicable legal requirements. As a member and key leader of the Health & Safety Committee, the Safety Specialist evaluates the organization’s procedures, facility and equipment by conducting inspections to identify unsafe conditions and to implement safeguards and solutions. The Safety Specialist ensures the organization complies with all current safety regulations and that all employees are aware of safety requirements and are prepared to follow safety procedures.
A qualified candidate is an excellent communicator who is diplomatic, and proactive and can liaise effectively with line staff and managers. This position is required to work hours as the project demands, including early hours, evenings, weekends, and overtime as needed.
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
The position requires on-site work five days a week at the Academy facility located in Golden Gate Park. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a subject matter expert for Cal/OSHA regulations and other safety standards as they apply to Academy activities
- Partners with the Academy’s head of health, safety and risk management as a technical advisor.
- On a daily basis, examine the workplace for conditions affecting health and safety
- Serves as a health & safety subject matter expert for the Health & Safety Committee and the Security Department. Provides coordination, support and ensure documentation for all required health & safety meetings, trainings, assessments, certifications, permits, licenses, exposure tests, and equipment
- This position also ensures compliance with Federal, State and Local safety regulations and that all required programs are current.
- Modify/Create health and safety related programs for the Academy and its activities. Provide guidance and assistance to the Academy Chemical Safety Officer, Health and Safety Monitors and Hazardous Materials Committee
- Lead or assist with safety inspections with internal and external stakeholders necessary to ensure compliance with applicable local, state, and federal occupational health and hazardous materials regulations
- Investigate safety incidents, track safety data, uncover patterns, develop methods to predict hazards, evaluate the probability and severity of incidents in order to recommend improvements.
- Create, deliver and track health & safety training modules for staff
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- 3 to 5 years relevant experience in working in occupational health and safety
- Certifications in the field of occupational health & safety are highly desirable
- College-level coursework, professional training, or experience in one or more of the following fields: occupational safety & health, engineering, or related field of study
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Be passionate about safety performance improvement
- Demonstrated ability to locate and interpret relevant safety regulations
- Ability to follow supervisor’s instructions and ask for direction and assistance when necessary
- Strong computer skills: Google suite, Windows, Microsoft Office, and the ability to learn other online tools as needed
- Ability to read and interpret documents in English, including safety regulations
- Ability to write correspondence, reports, policies, and protocols related to safety topics
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and via teleconferencing with a diverse workforce and external stakeholders
- Must be able to transport 50 lbs.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 80% of the time.
Compensation and Benefits
Hiring range: $80,000-$88,000
Schedule: Full-Time, 40 hours per week
Starting salary will vary based on experience and relevant skills/knowledge set.
The Academy offers a total compensation package that emphasizes both base salary and comprehensive benefits.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on Friday, 1/6/23 and review will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.