On Call Event Coordinator
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Resilient Islands – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
Please note: All Academy staff and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receiving a booster shot when eligible as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy
The On Call Event Coordinator (OEC) reports to the Sales Services Supervisor, in the Facility Rentals Department. This department reports to the Associate Director of Facility Rentals, and is responsible for the promotion, sales and rental of Academy facilities for public and private events. This is an on-call as needed position that is required to be available for at least 2 shifts per month. This position is not eligible for benefits.
The On Call Event Coordinator (OEC) acts as the official representative of the Academy during facility rentals including corporate and private events, and internal museum events. The OEC manages the events, including the coordination and monitoring of caterers, vendors, decorations, entertainment, coat check, janitorial, security, and engineering needs. It is the responsibility of the OEC to ensure the clients and vendors complete compliance with Academy guidelines and procedures with regard to the use of the facilities, and the protection and security of the exhibits and animals. The OEC oversees the following: all event set-ups, the actual event, event cleanup immediately following, and briefing the Facility Rental Department in writing after the event.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enforce all Academy event guidelines and procedures
- Provide logistical support for rental and museum events:
- Act as Academy liaison with clients and vendors
- Review work order for event specifics, logistics and details
- Familiarize self with key players (i.e. client, caterer, vendors, internal Academy staff, GE, Operations, Facilities, Security, etc.)
- Advise event planners and caterers on approved floor plans for food, bar set up, auxiliary lighting, entertainment, etc.
- Oversee all set up and break down activities such as vendors, equipment set up, coat check, janitorial and security, caterers, docents, stores and entertainment
- Assist Academy Facilities and Operations staff in moving Academy furniture or stanchions, as necessary to meet set up timeline. Moving furniture or rental equipment for caterers and other vendors is not required
- Monitor events throughout all aspects of the event: set up, during event, break down and clean up to ensure all procedures are correctly followed and all guidelines relating to the protection and security of the Academy are observed
- Oversee safety of guests, vendors, and staff, including but not limited to checking power cords for proper taping, and exit accessibilities
- Interact with clients, acting as Academy representative. Meet and greet the client, provide the highest level of customer service to ensure client satisfaction
- Assist in mediation of conflicts among guests, clients, vendors, Academy staff and emergency personnel by providing clarification and reiteration of Academy policies and procedures. Perform final walkthrough with caterers and vendors to ensure Academy is returned to original condition
- Remain on site until events are over, and break down and cleanup is completed
- Brief Event Department in writing after each event
- Have a good working knowledge of all public areas of the Academy
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following experience and/or equivalent education:
- Certifications in Event Industry and/or related training
- Experience working in a museum setting is preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Ability to problem solve quickly, trouble-shoot, and work under pressure
- Self-motivated and able to work without supervision
- Ability to relate to diverse groups of people
- Ability to do strenuous work for long periods of time
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays
- Proficiency in Google Suite
- Ability to read and interpret documents
- Ability to write routine reports, correspondence, and speak effectively before groups or individuals
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities who meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand on hard floors for long periods of time, sit, walk, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/ calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 60% of the time. Must be able to transport 30 lbs.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please upload your resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance