- San Francisco, CA
- Full Time
- Guest Experience
- Entry Level
The Custodian is responsible for daily cleaning, sanitizing and furniture set-up tasks in a public work environment. This position requires knowledge of all phases of custodial work as well as a strong customer service ethic. This position can be full time or part time and the candidate must be available to work a flexible schedule (day, night, swing special events, weekends and holidays). The California Academy of Sciences is open to the public 365 days a year. This position reports to the Custodian Supervisor.
Come join a supportive, collaborative, and genial team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision, and values. Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
The position is a on-site in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, and this arrangement can change as business needs warrant. Employees must be able to easily come on-site if needed. Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination, including receiving a booster shot, as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform general sanitization of all areas of the Academy as directed
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
- Read and interpret instructions in work tickets or in email communication.
- Use a 2-way radio for communication with managers and staff.
- Answer basic guest questions; provide directions and general information about the Academy.
- Empty/cleans/sanitize wastebaskets and trash containers in the office areas, public floors and around the building.
- Clean and sanitize public and private restrooms and locker rooms using established practices and procedures.
- Refill dispensers including sanitizers with the appropriate product and supplies.
- Clean, dust, wipe fixtures including furniture, ceiling vents and blinds.
- Mop, strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors.
- Vacuum and shampoo carpet and rug areas.
- Reset materials and furniture on the public floor daily
- Clean, wipe and wash accessible interior and exterior windows, walls and glass doors; use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Remove debris from public floors, stairs, sidewalks and areas within the vicinity of the building using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Handle compost, recycling and garbage materials and place them in appropriate drop off point.
- Sort recycling/compost/garbage.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
- Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, and working relationships.
- Follow all Academy safety and regulations.
- Take on other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Minimum one year custodial or janitorial experience in a public institution or commercial building such as an office building, warehouse, retail or wholesale store, or or a commercial facility such as a university, hospital, stadium auditorium , hotel/motel, etc.) OR
- Certificate of Completion of a Custodial training equivalent OR
- Verification of current enrollment in a Custodial training program at the time of application
- Experience successfully working with the public and a culturally diverse staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to follow and maintain sanitation standards in all interior and exterior areas of the Academy as directed by management.
- Ability to work independently and with a team to complete work assignments in a responsible manner.
- Ability to follow direction from written work orders or from verbal requests.
- Knowledge of custodial tools, equipment, machines and their use.
- Good interpersonal skills and strong attention to organization and detail.
- Ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment including, but not limited to, ride-on auto scrubbers, walk-behind high speed burnisher, ride-on burnishers, truck mounted hot water pressure systems, ride-on sweeper/vacuum and articulating aerial lifts to perform custodial services.
Use basic English skills to regularly communicate and interpret instructions to alert staff and security in person and with a two-way radio. Speak and understand simple instructions from managers and staff. Interact with guests and provide directions as well as answer general questions regarding the Academy. Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write brief emails, routine reports and correspondence in English. Bilingual in Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog or other non-English language preferred but not necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. At the Academy, we get to work in unique spaces! We have active positions on the public floor that require repetitive motion, moving through and rotating to different cleaning positions throughout the day. In the Rainforest exhibit, we work in humid temperatures around various wildlife ie. birds, snakes, spiders, and insects. In the Planetarium exhibit, staff work in a sometimes darkened theatre environment with steps on a 30-degree slope. During events, you may need to lift up to 40 lbs when we need to reset the furniture. For everyone’s safety this position requires a face covering to be worn 100% of the time.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The hiring committee will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.